Highway 403 & Highway 6 Mainline – Evaluation of Alternatives
Alternative 2 (the Preferred Alternative)
- Slightly higher construction costs
- Similar fill requirements and construction staging to Alternative 3
- The addition of lanes along both Highway 403 and Highway 6 will increase capacity and traffic flow through both highway corridors, but also increase traffic noise and reduce local air quality more than adding lanes to only Highway 403.
- Similar impacts to the natural environment as Alternative 3
This alternative includes adding one lane in each direction on Highway 403 and one Highway 6 southbound lane.
Alternative 3 (not preferred)
- Slightly lower construction costs,
- Similar fill requirements, construction staging and impacts to the natural environment as Alternative 2
- Less impact on the socio-economic environment due to lanes only being added to Highway 403.
- Will only increase traffic capacity of Highway 403 and impact local noise and air quality
This alternative includes adding one lane in each direction on Highway 403.